Time to read: 6 minutes
With Teams you can invite and participate in online meetings with just a few clicks.
Participants can choose to participate with video or audio only. They can also join from mobile devices or choose to simply call the meeting. At the meeting you can look at files, screen share, draw on whiteboards and much more.
Create a Teams meeting from Outlook
In a calendar invitation, click Teams Meeting in the Meeting tab. This adds a link to the meeting down in the body text that the meeting participants can use when it comes time for the meeting.
Then fill in the meeting information - time, participants, agenda and so forth - and click Send.
Create a Teams meeting directly from Teams
In Teams access the area Calendar and pick + New meeting in the top right corner.
Fill in the rest of the meeting invitation - other participants, agenda, etc. - and send off with the Schedule button.
Note that there is a drop down menu in the upper right corner is called Select a channel to meet in. Here you can choose to associate the meeting with a team and possibly a specific channel. This means that the meeting will be in the history of the team, so that it is easy to find again afterwards and all communication is gathered in the team.
Here's how to attend a Teams meeting
1. Depending on your Outlook settings, a reminder will appear before the Teams meeting. In this, you can click Connect Online and get connected to the Teams meeting directly.
2. You can also use the link in the meeting invitation.
3. The meeting invitation also includes a phone number allowing meeting participants to simply call up the meeting from a phone.
4. If the meeting participant does not have Teams at all, the link in the meeting invitation will open the meeting in their browser and thus they still have the opportunity to participate.
During the meeting
If you host a presentation during a Teams meeting, you have the same options as usual in Teams. You can share files, present PowerPoint, share your screen, hold polls and much more.
It all takes place in the meeting menu:
- To turn video or microphone on or off, click .
- To add more meeting participants, click on the three dots and then the plus icon .
- To record the meeting, click on the three dots and then click Start Recording. Read more about footage in this guide.
- To share your screen, click and then choose what you want to share. You can share your entire screen or only individual applications - such as a PowerPoint presentation. Here you can also open the meeting whiteboard if you like.
- To post a chat message to all meeting participants, click .
- If you want some privacy in a video conference, you can blur your background. To do this, click on the three dots and select Blur my background.
In the case of a larger meeting (4-5+ participants), it may be a good idea for those who don't speak to mute their microphone. Driving in a car while attending (via headset, of course) also makes good sense to turn off the microphone when you just listen.
But all these little tricks of online meetings, you probably know from other tools. If not, you quickly get them under your skin.