In this guide, we'll walk you through what the different contact statuses mean, how to sort your contacts and create groups.
In the contact list, the status of your contact is indicated by a small colour icon at the bottom right of their profile picture.
- A green icon indicates that the person is available
- A red icon indicates that the person is in a meeting, in a call or otherwise busy
- A yellow icon indicates that the person is away
Your status changes automatically according to your activity, but you can also set it manually by clicking the status just below your name at the top of Skype for Business.
Sorting contact by groups
Groups is a useful tool to sort your contacts. How about a group for the colleagues in Marketing, one for IT and so on? This is how you create groups:
- Click the little user icon in the upper part of Skype for Business
- Click Create new group
Once created you can add a contact to a group by right-clicking the contact and picking Copy contact to or Move contact to. You can also drag and drop contacts between groups.
Other ways of sorting
Just above your contact list there are three tabs that can arrange your contacts:
- Clicking Groups will arrange your contacts according to your own and the predefined groups in the contact list with Favourites and Other contacts at the top
- Clicking Status will arrange your contacts according to availability with those online at the top. This is a great option if you want to get a quick overview of available contacts
- Clicking Relations will arrange your contacts according to the privacy level you picked for each of them, with Friends and family at the top.